· A new poll by Beano.com reveals the ten funniest jokes of all time, according to kids
· “Why was the sand wet? Because the sea weed!” has been voted as the funniest gag EVER!
· The top ten list features classic ‘Doctor, Doctor’ and ‘What do you call a...’ side splitters
· Beano has launched a new national joke competition for primary schools to find Britain’s funniest class
· Classes can enter the competition and view Beano’s Joke Generator on www.beano.com/jokes
British children have voted “Why was the sand wet? Because the sea weed!” as the funniest joke of all time, according to new research by Beano.com
The poll of 2,000 British children aged 7-12 years old reveals classic jokes have stood the test of time, with timeless gags such as “What do you call a blind dinosaur? Doyouthinkhesaurus” and “Doctor, Doctor! Help, I feel like a pair of curtains! - Pull yourself together then!” featuring in the top ten.
The research was commissioned to celebrate the launch of Beano’s new national joke competition to find the funniest class in Britain. Primary schools across the UK can submit their classes’ entries from April 1st* 2019 online at www.beano.com/jokes
The top 10 funniest jokes of all time according to kids:
1. Why was the sand wet? Because the sea weed! (52%)
2. What do you call a blind dinosaur? Doyouthinkhesaurus (45%)
3. What did the policeman say to his tummy? Freeze you’re under a vest (44%)
4. Doctor, Doctor! Help, I feel like a pair of curtains! Pull yourself together then (42%)
5. What’s the fastest vegetable? A runner bean! (41%)
6. What do you get when you cross a snowman with a vampire? Frostbite! (40%)
7. What’s brown and sticky? A stick! (39%)
8. What do you call a blind deer? No eye deer (38%)
9. Why should you be careful when it's raining cats and dogs? You might step in a poodle! (38%)
10. Do you want to hear a joke about pizza? Never mind, it’s too cheesy (37%)
Whilst fathers are notorious for their cringe worthy ‘dad jokes’, almost half (41%) of British children aged 7-12 years old, chose their dad as the funniest person in their family, while mum was found to tell the worst jokes (26%).
Two-thirds of kids (67%) said they hear the best jokes in the classroom and playground, and nine in ten (90%) British children say kids are funnier than adults.
Mike Stirling, Editorial Director at Beano said:
“The hunt to find the UK’s funniest primary school-class is on! Beano is encouraging pupils up and down the country to put forward their very best jokes, gags and funnies to be in with a chance of being crowned Britain’s funniest class.
“Beano has always known how naturally funny kids are, so this national competition is the perfect way to shine a spotlight on the comedians of tomorrow and add some Beano LOLZ into primary schools across the UK.”
The top three classes, voted for by Beano’s gag maker experts and kids themselves online at Beano.com, will each win a bundle of Beano annuals, comic subscriptions and a special VIP Beano visit and joke workshop; where one will ultimately be crowned Britain’s funniest class.
The announcement of the competition follows the successful launch of Beano’s free “SPAG LOLZ” programme for primary schools. The programme, free to download on school.beano.com, covers six key SPAG (Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar) topics with six curriculum-based lesson plans each for KS1 and KS2. Lesson plans focus on joke writing techniques taught through SPAG; designed to help classes hone their comedy skills and inject some unique Beano fun into literacy lessons.
Classes can source further inspiration from Beano’s ‘Joke Generator’ which hosts 80 years’ worth of classic jokes and submit their entries online at www.beano.com/jokes.
Beano’s national school joke competition is open for entries from April 1st. Primary school pupils or teachers (on behalf of their pupils) can enter via www.beano.com/jokes
- ENDS –
For more information contact, please contact Georgina Vincent on firstname.lastname@example.org/ 0208 206 5151
Notes to Editors:
* The competition opens on 00.01hrs Monday 1st April 2019 and will close at 23.59hrs Wednesday 1st May 2019
About Beano Studios:
Beano Studios is a rebellious content business, driven by insight and data, which creates, curates and delivers entertainment for kids of all ages worldwide. The Studio produces diverse entertainment across multiple destinations; including TV, digital content, theatrical projects, consumer products, plus the legendary comic and annual.
The award-winning Beano.com is the UK’s fastest growing kids entertainment site, with 5M monthly reach across the Beano network.
Beano Studios’ International Emmy nominated Dennis & Gnasher: Unleashed was CBBC’s highest rated animation at launch. In 2018 SO Beano!, a presenter-led entertainment show inspired by the hottest trends and most loved content on Beano.com, launched on Sky Kids.